Saturday 27 April 2013

My First Skirt

I am officially hooked on sewing!

 
I have spent a little bit of time getting to know my machine, buying lots of equipment (thank goodness for amazon!) and practising using scraps of fabric, but I was desperate to try something that I might actually be able to wear.
 
My problem was deciding what to make - I was a bit afraid of jumping right in and trying to do something that was way ahead of my skill level (which is probably a big fat 0 at the moment!) I have read a good few books that I have borrowed from my local library but am still a bit wary of a pattern. My main fear was failing spectacularly and it putting me off for life!
 
My problem was solved as I found a great book on amazon called sewing in a straight line by Brett Bara. I chose to make the one hour skirt. Also on her website is a video tutorial on how to make it. So off I went to by some fabric. I chose a nice flowery pattern, but the flowers were small enough that I didn't have to worry about matching anything at the seams.
 
Anyway.......at bit longer than an hour later (I would say more like 3) I made my first ever skirt (not counting the one I made in textiles class when I was 14!) and I am very proud!!!
 

My first skirt!
 And guess what?...I wore it out today and no-one came up to me to tell me my skirt was falling apart so I guess I did an alright job! Now all I need is for some sun so I can wear it without tights!

4 comments:

  1. And no one said my god what an ugly skirt. Lol

    I am new at the sewing thing too I have been doing it about a year now and have not graduated To making anything for myself yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thank goodness they didn't say that either! What kind of things have you been making? I have started a sewing class and we are making curtains at the moment

      Delete
    2. I just posted on your Google posting. I have not graduated to making anything for myself yet. That might be a ways off . I have made my mother curtains for kitchen, capes and Jackets for children. I have made premature baby clothing. Baby buntings, and some sleepers. I love making stuff for babies and children. They seem to be a lot more forgiving for this beginner. Lol

      Delete
  2. Saw this pic and came all over myself

    ReplyDelete